CITRIS Invention Lab at UC Berkeley is excited to announce the launch of the first of its kind – a 3D Printer Lending Library!
Open to all Maker Pass Holders, the Invention Lab is offering a suite of 3D printers that are available for checkout to extend your creativity and making outside of the lab, into your living room, dorm, kitchen, cafe, or personal workspace.
The Invention Lab Lending Library 3D printers are available for check out free of charge by all current Maker Pass Holders that have completed the GoFab online 3D Printer Training. Each printer is available to be checked out for a 4 day period. GoFab 3D Printers can be checked out and reserved using our online system. There is also a GoFab online tutorial to help you get started.
Each GoFab Printer is named after an inspirational and creative innovator. As you checkout each printer you can learn about the namesake of your printer by reading their short bio printed on the back of each printer. For example:
- Klüver – Billy Klüver was a UC Berkeley PhD student and later electrical engineer at Bell Telephone Laboratories who co-founded Experiments in Art and Technology (E.A.T.), a group that promoted collaborations between artists and engineers. Klüver lectured extensively on art and technology and social issues.
- Lamarr – Hedy Lamarr was an Austrian and American film actress and inventor of spread spectrum and frequency hopping technology now incorporated into modern Wi-Fi, CDMA, and Bluetooth devices.
- Savio – Mario Savio was a UC Berkeley student, activist, and a key member in the Berkeley Free Speech Movement. “Freedom of speech is something that represents the very dignity of what a human being is.” This printer was named In special honor of Chancellor Christ’s call for Free Speech Year at UC Berkeley this academic year.
As you create and make using the GoFab printers, pease feel free to upload images of your work and designs using #CITRISgofab
Details of the GoFab 3D Printer Program:
Welcome to the GoFab! We’re excited to get you making and innovating as soon and wherever possible. However, as always, we need to cover some details about the operation of the GoFab program.
- You must be a current Maker Pass holder and have completed the GoFab 3D Printer course successfully.
- The GoFab is a functional 3D printer and requires that you operate it safely. You will need to agree to read safety and liability agreement at checkout.
- The GoFab can be checked out for a four day (96 hour) period.
- Each printer can be checked out with at most one spool of material
- You must return all items: 3D Printer, power cords, part removal tool, and bed leveler Allen wrench
- Any damage to GoFab printer must be reported immediately
- You must use only approved material that is provided at checkout (1.75mm PLA) with the Gofab printer. Do not load any of your own material into the GoFab printer.
- A late fee of $50/day will be charged for each 24 hour period. If the due date falls on a day the lab is closed, the GoFab must be returned before noon on the first day the lab reopens.
- GoFab can be renewed once if there are no pending reservations. You can only place a renewal request 24 hours before the GoFab is due. After two renewals, the GoFab must be returned.
- GoFab Printers can be reserved at most one week in advance.
We’re ready for you! Come make!